Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: Windows Repair Toolbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Update:

These issues seems to be happening on my external hard drive! I have tested it on the desktop and it is working like a charm. External Hard drive, not working. Even after formatting, didn't work Huh
Update:

Seems it is only effecting my External Hard Drive, tried on another usb, works fine!
Wonder why it is not working on the external hard drive. I think it is going bad Sad
What does everything else think?
(05-28-2017, 06:54 PM)RECdevicehelper Wrote: [ -> ]Update:

Seems it is only effecting my External Hard Drive, tried on another usb, works fine!
Wonder why it is not working on the external hard drive. I think it is going bad  Sad

Hi, @RECdevicehelper , I've just tested to run WRT from a external hard-drive and i haven't found none of the problems. Maybe that HDD has problems? You could try to run a chkdsk on that hard drive, and also give it a look with CrystalDiskInfo to check the SMART status.

Just two things: the AV must be disabled before the Nirsoft password recovery tools are executed (because of false positives); and the loading time of WRT is different from machine to machine.

But if you find an instance were the program doesn't load, and just sits on the "Loading...please wait..." screen, please let me know, because shouldn't happen. What should happen is that if WRT cannot load something, it should trow an error regarding that monitor that was unable to load, and should continue to start. Anyway I'll probably have to try to create a "safe mode", were WRT starts bare-bones without any of the monitors, to those machines that are fubared...

(05-28-2017, 11:48 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Alex,

I have a suggestion for an app called Belarc Advisor...

This program has been around for a very long time, It's good for taking inventory of all sorts of things on a system like...OS Info, System Info, System Security Status, Group Policy, Windows COA, and etc. It will even list Product Keys for most "not all" installed programs. Would be a great add to WRT...

Thanks for all the good work!!!

Thank you for the suggestion! The tool looks great, and i have heard about it and tried it before.

But I'll not be adding more tools to WRT, I´ll just be replacing those that are already there for better ones, in order to have a good baseline of programs (able to fit most use cases) that can be personalized with the tools the user adds to the "Custom Tools" tab - those that best fit their daily usage.

If you think that Belarc (or any other tool) is a better replacement for any of the tools in the toolbox please let me know; so I can test it. Anyway you can add this line to your custom.xml file (you can find more about it in the "Custom Tools" tab):

Code:
<LINKS title="Belarc Advisor" link="https://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisorinstaller.exe" exe="advisorinstaller.exe"/>

This way you'll be able to add Belarc to your own copy of WRT!
(05-29-2017, 11:31 AM)AlexCa Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-28-2017, 06:54 PM)RECdevicehelper Wrote: [ -> ]Update:

Wonder why it is not working on the external hard drive. I think it is going bad  Sad

Hi, @RECdevicehelper , I've just tested to run WRT from a external hard-drive and i haven't found none of the problems. Maybe that HDD has problems? You could try to run a chkdsk on that hard drive, and also give it a look with CrystalDiskInfo, to check the SMART status.

Just two things: the AV must be disabled before the Nirsoft password recovery tools are executed (because of false positives); and the loading time of WRT is different from machine to machine.

But if you find an instance were the program doesn't load, and just sits on the "Loading...please wait..." screen, please let me know, because shouldn't happen. What should happen is that if WRT cannot load something, it should trow an error regarding that monitor, and continue to start. Anyway I'll probably have to try to create a "safe mode", were WRT starts bare-bones without any of the monitors, to those machines that are fubared...

(05-28-2017, 11:48 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Alex,

I have a suggestion for an app called Belarc Advisor...

This program has been around for a very long time, It's good for taking inventory of all sorts of things on a system like...OS Info, System Info, System Security Status, Group Policy, Windows COA, and etc. It will even list Product Keys for most "not all" installed programs. Would be a great add to WRT...

Thanks for all the good work!!!

Thank you for the suggestion! The tool looks great, and i have heard about it and tried it before.

But I'll not be adding more tools to WRT, I´ll just be replacing those that are already there for better ones, in order to have good baseline of programs (able to fit most use cases), and that can be personalized with the tools the user add to the "Custom Tools" tab - that would be those that best fit their daily usage.

If you think that Belarc (or any other tool) is a better replacement for any of the tools in the toolbox please let me know; so I can test it. Anyway you can add this line to your custom.xml file (you can find more about it in the "Custom Tools" tab):

Code:
<LINKS title="Belarc Advisor" link="https://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisorinstaller.exe" exe="advisorinstaller.exe"/>

This way you'll be able to add Belarc to your copy own of WRT!

Understand completely! Alex... Thanks a bunch for the reply and input!!
@LarryTheComputerGuy

No problem! I thank you for the input.

I'm always interested to know what other techs/power users are using in the real-world. So if you guys have suggestions, please keep them coming! Even if it's not for replacing anything in particular. The same apply for the "Final Tests" tab, if you guys have suggestions of things to include/replace, please let me know. Thanks!
Hi all, here's a little tutorial in how to add Ninite installers to the "Custom Tools" tab list.
The advantages are that the Ninite installers are always updated and don't contain adware.

Here are some finished examples:
<LINKS title="Google Chrome" link="https://ninite.com/chrome/ninite.exe" exe="chrome_ninite.exe"/>    
<LINKS title="Firefox" link="https://ninite.com/firefox/ninite.exe" exe="firefox_ninite.exe"/>  
<LINKS title="Opera" link="https://ninite.com/operaChromium/ninite.exe" exe="opera_ninite.exe"/>

- Go to Ninite website, choose one or more aplications, and click "Get Your Ninite".

- Go to the "Downloads" section of your browser and copy the download link. Use it when creating the entry in "custom.xml" file. You can use the examples above as a reference.

- Rename the .exe name from "ninite.exe" to something more significant in order to avoid conflicts. As you can see, in the examples above i added a prefix, e.g.: "ninite.exe" changed to "opera_ninite.exe" (but do not change the .exe name in the download link itself).
ok thank you for the tutorial Alax

what you can do is to post a tutorial in the tutorial section

with some photo's so it can be more easy for people to understand
(05-31-2017, 10:29 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]ok thank you for the tutorial Alax

what you can do  is to post  a tutorial in  the tutorial section  

with some photo's so it can be more easy for people to understand

Fortunately @Timster already made a video tutorial Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAe2cdZwPjQ&t=7s

It's basically the same, but applied to Ninite downloads.
The custom.xml file contains the general instructions in how to create new entries.
Hello everyone, version 1.9.0.5 of Windows Repair Toolbox is now available:

-  WRT can now start in a reduced functionality mode (safe mode). Use this mode whenever you're working in a machine that has problems and you're unable to start or use the program normally. To do it, just run the “start_WRT_in_reduced_functionality_mode.bat” batch file (it's in the same folder as Windows_Repair_Toolbox.exe). Alternatively, you can run WRT from the Command Prompt using the /safe argument. This replaces and is a different and better implementation of the startup in minimal mode that was added in the first versions of WRT, and that would no longer work in the latest versions.

[Image: print1.jpg]

-  Added a lower time-out to the program and definitions updater that runs at startup.

- In the “Settings” tab, under the “Unattended Fix scan settings” groupbox, the scan settings will only show if the correspondent tool is selected to run in the “Malware Removal” tab.

[Image: print2.jpg]

As always, your feedback is welcome.

Thanks.
OK maybe this will help with WRT taking forever to start up sometimes. It happened to me again for no apparent reason. Wired connection and hardly had any malware. I disabled other antivirus with no change..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38