Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 running slow
(09-14-2016, 02:14 PM)ernestad Wrote:  
(09-12-2016, 01:44 AM)Double clutch Wrote:  This might give you some ideas.https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=2408

Thank you for the Link Double clutch!! Smile

(09-12-2016, 02:42 AM)Compton Wrote:  basic on what you are saying sounds like you need upgrade the memory & Cpu
what are systems specs don't me give all 4000 just a few of them

Hello Compton, unfortunately we cannot upgrade these machines, this machine are all leased, they all come with either 4GB or 8GB or RAM, the CPU i5 and 300GB HDD,
some of the machine are built 64bit but most of them are 32bit.

(09-12-2016, 06:11 AM)Partha Wrote:  First of all, you should never delete the contents of Prefetch.

The files inside Prefetch actually let applications load faster the next time, and so deleting them won't help

Provide us with the detailed specs of one of those affected systems

Upload a screenshot with the performance tab open in the task manager, when its gets really slow

Hello Partha, so the specs of these machines are kind of standard most of the pc's comes with 4GB of RAM, 300GB HDD and there image is windows 7 32bit, now, there are few machines that have 8GB RAM others are 64bit systems, but the majority are built with a 32bit system and have 4GB of RAM. All machines have i5 chip.
Thank you for the info of not deleting the contents of Prefetch.

(09-12-2016, 07:01 AM)REC560 Wrote:  Another note on the subject. Make you are up to date with windows updates, New updates can improve the performance of a system.

Hi REC560, I agree with you, if we keep these machines updated, the system will run smoothly, unfortunately, not all users connect their laptops hardwired,
specially those who work remotely. We always tell them to have their machines connected hardwired for the updates but most of them don't do it.
You could set a update schedule, so it automatically restarts the computers and updates the system

Also what do you mean they have a lease on them, you mean a warranty!

(09-12-2016, 12:51 PM)Compton Wrote:  I was just reading back your post putting laptops to do heavy load was a bad ideal
using desktops would have be way better

Yes, you are right Compton, but in our work environment most of our users and I will say 90% have laptops, because the majority also works from home.

(09-12-2016, 01:36 PM)Timster Wrote:  To add.... what if any virus protection programs are running on the computers?

All systems run by McAfee antivirus.

(09-12-2016, 02:41 PM)REC560 Wrote:  
(09-12-2016, 01:36 PM)Timster Wrote:  To add.... what if any virus protection programs are running on the computers?
Good point, virus protection can slow down applications. But really depends on the hardware/system.

Yes in deed REC560 virus protection can slow down the system, I think the specs that we are getting for all these machines are not that great, so we try to do the best we can to run this machines smoothly.

(09-14-2016, 02:46 PM)ernestad Wrote:  
(09-12-2016, 12:51 PM)Compton Wrote:  I was just reading back your post putting laptops to do heavy load was a bad ideal
using desktops would have be way better

Yes, you are right Compton, but in our work environment most of our users and I will say 90% have laptops, because the majority also works from home.
Fair point! But with desktops, it is easier to upgrade any part in the computer, I.E Ram, Graphics Card, CPU, HDD/SSD.

Speaking about SSD's, an ssd would speed up your computer, would speed how long it takes to turn on and will benefit Windows 7.

ok first off you should  not be using McAfee antivirus.

you  said that some of the computer are 4GB some are 8GB

are only 4GB computers slowing down or both?

what are cpu speeds?

you said the computer are leased I am guessing its lase to a 3 party you guys just do the IT work on them?

you said 90% work from home A desktop can be use from home

the problem you guys are having here is that the laptops can't take the work load of Lotus Notes  how I would fix the problem change the software to something lighter or upgrade to desktop computers

I  agree with REC560 on the SSD but it will not fix the cpu and memory problem

(09-14-2016, 05:54 PM)Partha Wrote:  
(09-14-2016, 03:29 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok first off you should  not be using McAfee antivirus.
I agree that McAfee takes up a lot of resources but, that shouldn't be a problem on computers running 8 gigs of RAM

Look, reduced performance can be a result of outdated display drivers, or even outdated software for that matter

It is critical that the Windows is up to date before beginning to troubleshoot, not just for better performance but for security reasons as well

I can say from personal experience, that Windows needs to be up to date before troubleshooting any issue

Yes, updating is important.

I would like to see, as mentioned by GuiltySpark, all running processes in msconfig and what resources they are using.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net