Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 running slow
Hello to All,

I need your advise on this topic, first of all I work for a company as a Desktop support, we support over 4000 clients,
the operating system is Windows 7 32Bit and the majority of laptops are HP with 4GB of RAM in a 32Bit system.
there are few 64Bit systems too, as well as few laptops with 8GB of RAM. Our field is in the Health care, so all our system
is built encrypted, we used software like Lotus Notes that slow down the performance of the computer when the user have like
5 or more windows open, with that saying, we get a lot of request regarding windows running Slow. Now, most of our techs
don't want to spend more than 30 minutes troubleshooting the computer due to a volume of tickets that we get. As for myself I also try not to spend no more than 20 minutes doing some maintenance on the system, the following are steps that I do to minimize the slow down of the system:
1) Delete all files from the TEMP folder.
2) Delete all files from the Prefetch folder.
3) Delete Temporary Internet files.

After I do that I go to msconfig/boot I choose advance options and choose number of processors to 4 also under boot in timeout
I change that to 3 and last I go to Startup an disable all startups software that I think the system does not need, and the reason that I do this is because most of the time when the user logs in it takes for ever for them to login I will say between 3 to 4 minutes. Sometimes with all these steps I don't get the system to work smoothly for the client, there are times that i also delete their profile, but some times that does not work, so my questions to all you guru guys in computers, what else I can do besides what I'm doing now to make the system running like its a new computer?

I'm thinking to make a USB stick and have software like CCleaner install in there, what other tools you guys recommend to have in a USB for this kind of issues?

Thank you in advance for your info.

Ernest

This might give you some ideas.https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=2408
WannaBeGeek

basic on what you are saying sounds like you need upgrade the memory & Cpu
what are systems specs don't me give all 4000 just a few of them

First of all, you should never delete the contents of Prefetch.

The files inside Prefetch actually let applications load faster the next time, and so deleting them won't help

Provide us with the detailed specs of one of those affected systems

Upload a screenshot with the performance tab open in the task manager, when its gets really slow

Another note on the subject. Make you are up to date with windows updates, New updates can improve the performance of a system.

Have you run any malware scans?

Does it only slow down when running Lotus Notes?

Are all systems linked to a server image or standalone?

In what way are the systems encrypted?

What do you have running in msconfig? (Both startup and services minus MS services).

Did they all slow down at the same time or gradually one by one?

I was just reading back your post putting laptops to do heavy load was a bad ideal
using desktops would have be way better

To add.... what if any virus protection programs are running on the computers?
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(09-12-2016, 01:36 PM)Timster Wrote:  To add.... what if any virus protection programs are running on the computers?
Good point, virus protection can slow down applications. But really depends on the hardware/system.

Thumbs Up 
(09-12-2016, 01:44 AM)Double clutch Wrote:  This might give you some ideas.https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=2408

Thank you for the Link Double clutch!! Smile

(09-12-2016, 02:42 AM)Compton Wrote:  basic on what you are saying sounds like you need upgrade the memory & Cpu
what are systems specs don't me give all 4000 just a few of them

Hello Compton, unfortunately we cannot upgrade these machines, this machine are all leased, they all come with either 4GB or 8GB or RAM, the CPU i5 and 300GB HDD,
some of the machine are built 64bit but most of them are 32bit.

(09-12-2016, 06:11 AM)Partha Wrote:  First of all, you should never delete the contents of Prefetch.

The files inside Prefetch actually let applications load faster the next time, and so deleting them won't help

Provide us with the detailed specs of one of those affected systems

Upload a screenshot with the performance tab open in the task manager, when its gets really slow

Hello Partha, so the specs of these machines are kind of standard most of the pc's comes with 4GB of RAM, 300GB HDD and there image is windows 7 32bit, now, there are few machines that have 8GB RAM others are 64bit systems, but the majority are built with a 32bit system and have 4GB of RAM. All machines have i5 chip.
Thank you for the info of not deleting the contents of Prefetch.

(09-12-2016, 07:01 AM)REC560 Wrote:  Another note on the subject. Make you are up to date with windows updates, New updates can improve the performance of a system.

Hi REC560, I agree with you, if we keep these machines updated, the system will run smoothly, unfortunately, not all users connect their laptops hardwired,
specially those who work remotely. We always tell them to have their machines connected hardwired for the updates but most of them don't do it.

(09-12-2016, 10:15 AM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Have you run any malware scans?

Does it only slow down when running Lotus Notes?

Are all systems linked to a server image or standalone?

In what way are the systems encrypted?

What do you have running in msconfig? (Both startup and services minus MS services).

Did they all slow down at the same time or gradually one by one?

Hi GuiltySpark, we don't run any malware, when a laptop gets a virus we immediately removed it from the user and it gets reimaged.
It does slow down when the users have a lot of windows open and lotus notes at the same time.
All machines are image from a server we used NexdGen to image all machines.
I will try to upload a pic or the services and startup that we use in all the machines.
The machines get encrypted when they are image.
Depending of the software the user have plus the work load they get the machines start slowing down gradually.