Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: After installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, my hard drive won't boot windows.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I followed a youtube guide for the Ubuntu installation, and though it did not show me the grub list when I restarted my PC then, now I can boot Ubuntu without any problems. The difficulty now lies with my Windows 10 operating system as I am not able to fully boot into it (meaning that the loading process for windows will not complete). I tried "Startup Repair", "System Restore", and entering commands like 'chkdsk', 'bootrec', and activating partitions in the "Command Prompt". I receive error messages for both system repair and system restore. For system restore, the message reads: "System Restore could not find the offline boot volume. Please ensure that it is currently accessible," followed by, "There was an unexpected error: Friday (0x80071126). Please close the System Restore and try again." As many times as I tired to retry system restore, I receive the same error message.

After running startup repair, and through the diagnosis, the error message reads: "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC." The included log file is: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt​. I do not know what does that leave you to work with, but please help me find a solution as I do not what to lose my os, files, and settings.

For more information, through installing Ubuntu 14.04, I created two partitions -- one that I wanted to put linux on, and the other was a mistake that was done by accident. Both are 20 gb in size. I do not know what to do with the other one I did not intentionally created because I do not know if it was used to installing files on. It is named "Extended" if that helps.

I want to know what my options are from here on, if it can be fixed or not, but please tell me anything that you think will help/work. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. If you need anymore information, or want me to do any tests or troubleshoots, please leave a comment and I will provide them for you.

Thank you for reading,
-Union97
normally I would place Linux boot loader onto the root partition, then use easybcd to add the Linux boot loader onto the windows boot loader
(03-30-2016, 02:21 AM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]normally I would place Linux boot loader onto the root partition, then use easybcd to add the Linux boot loader onto the windows boot loader
i
Can I do that now? Ubuntu 14.04 is already up and running, but I need help repairing windows. What can I do now?
did you try Repair Master Boot Record (MBR) in Windows 10 https://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows
(03-30-2016, 02:38 AM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]did you try Repair Master Boot Record (MBR) in Windows 10 https://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

Yes. It seemed to work the first time, but now when I do it I cannot succeed with the bootrec /fixboot command
this should work with windows 10

(03-30-2016, 03:00 AM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]this should work with windows 10

I just finished doing what the video asks and it still did not solve my issue. It led to the same thing.
Chkdsk /f /r
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6