Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: [Solved] Lost Recovery Drive with win 8.1 update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have a problem, I did the windows 8.1 update on a Asus Laptop with no DVD drive. So, when it boots back up there is no recovery drive or EFI drive listed with a drive name. I can see the drives in disk management but, disk management isn't allowing me to assign a dive letter to the recovery drives. Now, I know I can assign the drive letters to those drives using disk part if I remember but, I could use some help so, I can preform a refresh on this laptop.

If I try the refresh either in safe mode or, in the OS I get cannot find recovery drive. I so... hate windows 8! Let's hope windows 9 is better.

Thanks.
Hi,

Did you update it via the store?
(09-16-2014, 11:00 PM)TopFreeware Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Did you update it via the store?

Yes, it was the 8.1 update from the windows store.
To reset to factory conditions, F9, Troubleshoot then reset.

Can you post a screenshot of your computer management window please.

Type "diskmgmt.msc" in search box from start orb and press enter
I found your answer, but it's quite involved: See genet's post.

Please check this page: https://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/39197-unable-use-built-asus-recovery-partition-2.html
There should be an easier way. I'll give it a try but, tonight I'm going to clone the HD with Easygig and then I'll give it a shot. I was thinking though, if I take out the hard drive and plug it into my desktop shouldn't I be able to assign drive letters to those partitions? I'll try both and let you know if I can get them to work.
I'm working on it today, so is there a reason for the windows 8 up grade to 8.1 that causes this?
Okay, I managed to get a copy of the recovery drive from the hard drive of that Asus by taking the Hard drive out then using NTFS Get Data Back I was able to copy it to a flash drive. I also made a backup of the files I needed to save like pictures and documents. It took forever and I had to walk away from my desktop several times... Now my desktop does not want to recognize my 3.0 flash drive and if I plug a hard drive into my computer with an Apricorn adapter my desktop will not let me use file explorer to look at the drive. Oh, I was so ready to kick whomever wrote windows 8.1 in their special place! I got that problem temporarily fixed by doing a refresh on windows 8.1.

Now, I just need to see if the backup I copied will fix the problem without having to go through the whole process. Oh, and I could not change the partitions of the Asus hard drive using my desktop. So, that answered that question.
How are you going with this?
post closed due to no response. 
Pages: 1 2