Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I install Windows 7 in UEFI or MBR mode?
Hi guys,

I would like to know which is the best way to install windows 7. Should I install it in UEFI or MBR mode.

Previously, when I was trying to install Windows 8.1 in UEFI Mode, right after it had finished, I got the error message: BCD is missing some required information. I discovered that the solution was to change UEFI mode into MBR mode, and install windows 8.1 in MBR mode. Though the solution I discovered doesn't make sense because Windows 8.1 supports UEFI and my system not being able to run windows 8.1 in UEFI mode is strange. It works in Windows 10 no problem.

Okay, the point is, I don't know if I should install Windows 7 in UEFI because I am concerned that error message may happen again.

Any thoughts

Thanks

RECdevicehelper

P.S Admin or super moderator, please close previous thread After clean installation of Windows 8.1 BCD is missing some required information say solution was to install Windows 8.1 in MBR Mode.

Do you mean....Install MBR in either BIOS or UEFI mode?
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

Note that if your computer was preloaded with 32-bit UEFI firmware, you're unable to install Windows 8 64-bit OS in UEFI mode, and you have to use Windows 8 32-bit OS. Instead, you have to use Windows 8 64-bit OS for computers with 64-bit UEFI firmware.

I have never successfully booted Windows 7 installation USB in UEFI mode.
It seems that Windows 7 doesn't support UEFI boot at all.

are you dual booting or something?

(11-24-2016, 01:24 AM)Compton Wrote:  are you dual booting or something?

Not dual boot. I ever tried to use either ISO2Disc or Rufus to create GPT bootable USB from Windows 7 64-bit ISO, and my Dell Inspiron laptop kept saying it's not recognized as bootable device at startup.

Could you managed to install Windows 7 in UEFI/GPT mode?

(11-24-2016, 01:24 AM)Compton Wrote:  are you dual booting or something?
No I am not dual booting

(11-23-2016, 11:43 PM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote:  Do you mean....Install MBR in either BIOS or UEFI mode?
Install Windows 7 in UEFI. SO GPT

you most partition the hard drive to use uefi

if you are going to install windows 7 use mbr

Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style

(11-24-2016, 12:42 PM)Compton Wrote:  you most partition the hard drive to use uefi

if you are going to install windows 7 use mbr

Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style
OK Compton, so you suggest I install windows 7 in MBR mode. Why do you suggest that? Why do you think that would be a good choice?:

because mbr is more less is compatible with windows 7 windows xp windows vista

uifi is more or less compatible with windows 8.8.1 windows 10

(11-24-2016, 07:44 PM)Compton Wrote:  because mbr is more less is compatible with windows 7 windows xp windows vista

uifi is more or less compatible with windows 8.8.1 windows 10
OK, do you mean more compatible with windows 7 windows xp vista because you said
Compton Wrote:because mbr is more less is compatible with windows 7 windows xp windows vista
Correct me if I am wrong!