Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 freezing
I am new to this forum ,and have tried to find the answer myself ,but without any luck
I am running windows 7 home premium on a factory refurbished Hp computer
My problem is it freezes or locks up randomly most of the time it does this when I`m on the internet ,but it also does this when I`m not , it doesn`t matter what program I`m running or what file or folder I try to access it will freeze ,I always have my task manager open to try to see if there is any excessive processor activity ,but there is never anything above 35% ,I have run Malware bytes, and super anti spyware ,and have only found minor tracking cookies ,this problem started 3 months ago and seems to be getting worse when I open two or more tabs on the internet it will take forever to load in a page
Can someone please help

ok test your Hard drive How to Test Your Hard Drive Using SeaTools for Windows

how to check your hard drive health status with crystal disk infol

(07-25-2015, 12:08 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok test your Hard drive How to Test Your Hard Drive Using SeaTools for Windows

how to check your hard drive health status with crystal disk infol

Ok I have tested my hard drive using both tools and even used dell diagnostics ,I only did the short test ,but everything comes up good
Although I should have mentioned that I ran the dell diagnostics short test before ,and the entire system comes up good
I have even ran check disk without any change
My system is running 2 Gig ram 80 Gig hard drive with an Intel dual core 1.86 GHz  processor
on a HP Compaq dc5700

Does it freeze when in Safe Mode with Networking?

(07-25-2015, 05:58 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Does it freeze when in Safe Mode with Networking?

yes ,it does not matter how I boot ,regular windows ,safe mode with or without networking
It will freezes for 10 seconds up 35 seconds ,yes I have timed it
it is really aggravating when it does ,if I want to open a folder it might freeze ,there is no rhyme or reason to when it will freeze or how long it lasts : Files ,folders ,internet ,programs , The size of folder or file does not matter even when I try to view pictures
It happens more when I`m on the internet ,if I open my shortcut to Google , or Craig's list it`s just about guaranteed to freeze . When I go to my home page att.net ,it will freeze and god help me if I want to open separate tabs
Never had this when I was running windows XP on an older machine
Any search on the internet seems to come up with this as a common problem on windows 7,is this true ?

It has been known to happen in Windows (in general) due to the way it handles resources (badly). Narrowing things down will be a mine field as it could be software causing it, hardware issue it's hard to pin down.

Does Event Viewer show anything under Windows Logs which could give more info?

boot up Linux lets see what will happen

Linux Lite

if it freeze up in Linux must likely hardware problem

if it don,t must likely software problem

(07-25-2015, 08:52 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  It has been known to happen in Windows (in general) due to the way it handles resources (badly). Narrowing things down will be a mine field as it could be software causing it, hardware issue it's hard to pin down.

Does Event Viewer show anything under Windows Logs which could give more info?

The only error events I find are :Source WMI Event ID 10 Task Category None
I get six of these a day ,depending on how long I have the computer on they appear to be about an hour apart give or take ten min.

(07-25-2015, 09:32 PM)Compton Wrote:  boot up Linux lets see what will happen

Linux Lite

if it freeze up in Linux must likely hardware problem

if it don,t must likely software problem

Not trying to be rude but, wouldn`t that complicate the diagnostic procedure
I have tried removing all programs that I have installed ,and with nothing but windows running it still had the same problem opening folders or the internet ,freeze
It does test my patience waiting and waiting

ok lets skip Linux for now

run a memory test if you have more then one memory install

you will have to test one memory at a time

let the test run for 2 hours  

how to write memtest86 to a flash drive

(07-26-2015, 12:32 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok lets skip Linux for now

run a memory test if you have more then one memory install

you will have to test one memory at a time

let the test run for 2 hours  

how to write memtest86 to a flash drive
Ok that was fun , I ran the tester and everything comes up good I also re-ran the dell diagnostics disc for ram memory test and it also came up good
The memory installed is 2Gig which is 1Gig X2 stick I have thought about adding more but with it running like this I don`t want to waste my money it`s only been doing this for about five months
Dell Diagnostics disc can test hard drive ,motherboard, video, sound ,mouse, keyboard, CPU, optical drives, RAM . I found it from Brian on his you tube channel ,really nice bit of kit ,works on every computer I`ve tried it on
Anyway I thank you for your help