Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: Windows 8.1 Recovery Drive on USB Flash Drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I am not at all familiar with the actual code of Windows Operating Systems I am wondering if the below scenario is definitely possible, some times possilbe, maybe possible (?), or never possible.
I have a good Windows 8.1 64-bit Operating system that I have copied the Recovery Drive onto a bootable usb flash drive.  Right now all I have copied are the utilities.  But am WONDERING if I copy the actual recovery drive can I use it to recover any Windows 8.1 operating system from a non-bootable Win 8.1 64-bit computer?
I haven't tried it (don't have Win 8) but in theory it may be possible as its essentially a WinPE partition.
I can't understand why you are going to all this trouble to try and pull recovery part from the cd, just use MSDART or Windows CD
Thanks for the replys, I do appreciate it. I am just exploring different scenarios for recovering a customer's 8.1 non-bootable computer when nothing else works. I have Hirens, UBCD, Kasperskys rescue disk 10, plus other stuff built onto both a bootable DVD and a bootable USB Flash Drive. I also, as stated above, have recovered the repair utilities from a good 8.1 64 bit computer onto a bootable flash drive. As stated, just looking at different scenarios. If all the above cannot get the computer to boot can I use the recovery partition to recover the operating system? This is apparently a simple process to create the usb flash drive, just need to obtain a usb flash drive greater than 32 gig.

Again, just performing a "what if" scenario in case I am presented with this situation. If it occurs I would like to be prepared with the quickest turn around solution for a future customer. Don't want to waste time researching when I can do it now in my free time.

Again, thanks to all who have responded to date.

Chuck Devlin
There should be an option to create one from inside the OS as there is in Vista/7.
I would use MSDART its a recovery CD with extras. check this video out I done.

Britec, thanks. I saw your video yesterday when you first mentioned MSDart. I definitely will persue this option and thank you for bringing this option to my attention. I was not aware of MSDart prior to this post.
Yeah its a lot better and has many more tools to fix problems.