Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: File record segments unreadable....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Gents...

I’d really appreciate some guidance...

My hard drive fails to load...at startup it goes in to a repair loop.

So via a win 8.1 startup disc I have, entered repair mode and used the command window (I call it dos prompt)

1. Tried to run sfc.exe - no success
2. Tried using bootrec...fixboot...fixmbr...scanOS....and so on - no success
3. Run Chkdsk/r. - it brought up File record segment4,5,6 and 7 unreadable
4. Tried to refresh /system s/w via win start up disc - no success
5. Startup repair couldn’t repair your pc

That left me scratching my head, so I looked on you tube and there was video that you guys published showing how easy it is to pull data off an old faulty drive. I think the device is called a disc caddy...I’d never heard or seen one before.

If anyone can recommend any more tests I could try or recommend a disc caddy it would be much appreciated. I did look on eBay but got put off by the mind boggling choice.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

BB
did you check the hard drive health
Any docking station works well really and you shouldn't need to pay more than $35 for one. I would go for one that has usb 3 due to the fact that your transfer fees will be much faster transfer speeds.
(01-12-2018, 12:50 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]did you check the hard drive health
Yes... I checked the hard drive about a month or so past.... and it showed no problems.... I did that as I was getting 100pc disk usage when I’d load an app... Once loaded ...I would have no issues.....

(01-12-2018, 12:50 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]did you check the hard drive health
Thanks.... is there one you would recommend that is fairly straightforward to use....preferably from a uk seller....

Thanks...BB
File record segment 4,5,6 and 7 unreadable that sounds like bad sectors to me. If I was you I would start backing up data right away.
(01-12-2018, 04:21 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]I personal use that https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Docking-Station-Function-Tool-free/dp/B00LN0GX4I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1515773925&sr=8-6&keywords=hard+drive+docking+station
That’s great....many thanks for the link., I’ll order one of those. interesting to see that it takes ssd drives too...so future proofing... I say that as I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new laptop.

Can’t wait to get the old data off ......

Many thanks for everyone’s help.

Best regards...BB

(01-12-2018, 07:59 PM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]File record segment 4,5,6 and 7 unreadable that sounds like bad sectors to me. If I was you I would start backing up data right away.

Yes, that’s what I want to do is get everything off.... It seems the next logical step is to buy one of these disc caddy tools.... All my other attempts have failed; see original post..... The system files won’t load.....all diagnostics /repairs have been unsuccessful.....

In your experience does that seem like the best option to you ?

Thanks B.B.
Its depends on:

1. How old it is?
  2. What spec it is?
  3. What you do with the laptop?
Why do i ask? because if its not that old and is of a reasonable spec and you don't much with it, then buying a new SSD could be the way to go instead of buying a new laptop.
(01-13-2018, 12:36 AM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]Its depends on:

1. How old it is?
  2. What spec it is?
  3. What you do with the laptop?
Why do i ask? because if its not that old and is of a reasonable spec and you don't much with it, then buying a new SSD could be the way to go instead of buying a new laptop.

I see...

Ive had the laptop around 4, possibly 5 years
It’s a bog standard out of the box Asus, i3 processor, 500gb drive, 4gd RAM. 15.4 screen.
Mostly I use Word, Xcel and Fireworks for the odd bit of graphics work. Over time it’s got slower.... I should have reinstalled Win 8 again sometime back...hindsight! . I’ve found in the past, reinstalling the OS is generally better .....all round, that’s possibly a very broad statement.

BB
Yeah maybe time for a upgrade, if you have the spare cash maybe get a small SSD and with that i3 it will be a lot faster, you could even put Linux on it  Big Grin
Pages: 1 2