Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: Installing Windows 10 Pro For Refurb PC's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been down this road twice with 2 different computers that at some point in the past have been upgraded from Windows Vista Business to Windows 10 Pro. There is even a Windows 10 COA sticker right next to the Windows Vista COA. In both cases the customer needed to have Windows 10 reinstalled on the computer. When I use the Windows 10 installation tool I am met with an error stating that "this computer is not compatible with Windows 10".

So my question is how do you guys think the computer got upgraded from Vista to Windows 10 and how do you think I should go about finding a way to get Windows 10 installed in this situation. I've done some research but I have not found an answer so I figured I would throw this out there to all of you smart techs. Only thing I can think of is that at some point Microsoft was allowing this upgrade from Vista on Business computers. I have always been under the impression that there was no way to upgrade from Vista to Windows 10.

[attachment=3248]
The only way I know / knew of doing it would be to go Vista -> Win 7 -> Win 10

I don't see another way being viable. I've always thought it strange that you couldn't though as Vista and Win 7 are basically the same kernal.
like GS probably upgrade from vista to 7 to 10

this video show how it can be done

What a PITA!

I have no Windows 7 upgrade key for this machine.
You may have to deactivate Win 10 PK and fresh install Win 10, this should allow for 10 installation but don't quote me on that (you know how fickle Win 10 is). If the system specs are fine it should be possible though.

Just make sure everything needed is backed up.

I would make a full system image then try a standard fresh install (no deactivation) and see if the 'Custom Install' option allows it, if so, activation should be automatic and you can set about re-installing the individual programs and profiles etc...
If it fails, you still have the system image handy.
(01-05-2018, 03:31 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote: [ -> ]You may have to deactivate Win 10 PK and fresh install Win 10, this should allow for 10 installation but don't quote me on that (you know how fickle Win 10 is). If the system specs are fine it should be possible though.

Just make sure everything needed is backed up.

I would make a full system image then try a standard fresh install (no deactivation) and see if the 'Custom Install' option allows it, if so, activation should be automatic and you can set about re-installing the individual programs and profiles etc...
If it fails, you still have the system image handy.

Hmm let me try a few things as suggested thanks
You can't upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 10, you will need to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and then use your product key to upgrade.
It is possible that they went from Windows Vista to Windows 7 to Windows 10 but this is just wasting your time. So above method is the way to go.

The free upgrade to windows 10 expires on December 31, 2017
Were hardware changes made to the PC's before you got them? If the Motherboard or CPU was replaced with different Motherboard and CPU you may have activation issues with that COA.
Larry its also be known to lose activation on change of graphics card which sometimes requires you to call Microsoft via phone and they will decide if they will reactivate.
Change of motherboard and CPU is deemed a new computer.

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

Previously called Digital Entitlement, when a computer is upgraded from a previous version of Windows; it receives a unique signature of the computer, which is stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license your system was previously running is exchanged for a diagnostics key.

With Digital License, there is no need to know your product key or purchase another product key if you lose it. Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on the same computer, just proceed to do so using any of the available options. Windows 10 will automatically reactivate without asking questions. The only exceptions where the license will be invalidated is dependent on the product channel. If you were previously running an OEM Windows 10, Windows 7 or Windows 8 license; then changing the motherboard will cause the Digital License to no longer work. This will require purchasing a new license. Transferring licenses upgraded from Windows 8 or Windows 7 under the Windows 10 free upgrade is also not allowed under Digital License.

SourceĀ 
Well the issue I was having (as stated in the original post) was that when booting into the Windows 10 installation media via the usb thumb drive I am greeted with an error stating that Windows 10 is not compatible with this computer. So Windows 10 refuses to install therefore not even reaching activation. This has happened on 2 computers that have been upgraded from Windows Vista Business and both computers have both COA stickers as shown in the original pics.

Needless to say my customer put a stop on the repair since he decided to buy a new computer and just have me transfer data so I no longer have the computer but I never figured out how the computer was upgraded in the first place.

Thanks for everyone's input on this anyway
Pages: 1 2