Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: PC Crash Error "Reboot and select proper boot media"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi Brian,

I am having a crash problem with my PC. IT is ASUS P-P5945GC. The problem is it operates fine but sometime it freezes and there is nothing i can do and it ends up with message 'Reboot and select proper boot media' and this has been happening since couple of month. I have tried all anti virus, Reg clean Pro and so on but came up with final solution.

Whenever above mentioned happens all i do is turn off the pc open the cover and plug out the red wire attached to hard drive, both RAM and plug it back after couple of minutes. When i do it it starts working fine again. But this is only temp solution i have for it.

Is there any permanent solution for it. Please help.

Namra Sad
Hi Namra, Welcome to the forum

Solution 1
When you pull out SATA cable for the Hard Drive its possible you put it in a different port, Also boot into BIOS and see what the 1st boot device is.
Make sure its your Hard Drive with Windows on it.

[Image: boot-options-priorities.jpg]

Your BIOS may be different, but the principle is the same.

Solution 2 

The boot sector or MBR is corrupt, you can try a repair with these commands below

Windows 7 
boot to command prompt in system recovery options:
type the following commands
Bootrec.exe

Bootrec.exe/fixmbr

Bootrec.exe/fixboot

Bootrec.exe/rebuildbcd

Windows 8 
boot to command prompt in system recovery options:
type the following commands
Bootrec.exe

Bootrec.exe/fixmbr

Bootrec.exe/fixboot

Bootrec.exe/rebuildbcd

Solution 3

Your operating system has become corrupt, the easy way to fix this for you is re-format and install a fresh install of Windows.[/b]
hi Brian,
just to let you know, i have also formatted windows several times. and same things has happened as explained above.

But this time i will try with the boot to command prompt in system recovery options that you have given above and see how it goes.

thanking you.
Namra
Please check BIOS setting and let me know please, we can also run some tests if needed.
Hi Brian,
I did the boot to command prompt in system recovery options and all was successful.
Namra
So the problem is solved Namra?