Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: I need an antivirus for windows xp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For now i have xp running on my machine until i can upgrade some hardware to something better that my system supports. I am well aware the end of xp is well passed but for now im running xp which is why im wondering if theres an antivirus i can use in the mean time because avast and avg i get a get an error that one of the services for avg or avast cant start which leads to not being able to use the graphical interface of avg or avast.
I have read that Panda Free and Avast Free works. I also think that Comodo Free works on XP as well, Comodo also includes a Firewall that Avast and Panda would not provide in their free versions. I don't have or support any XP Machines so I am not sure...

Hope this helps Smirk...

*** A tool that I used to use had an unofficial Windows XP service pack 4 included that would allow updating and running current software. I will try to find it for you so you can mess with it if you'd like.
Ive heard britec talk about that update but i wasnt sure how well the sp4 worked or if it had a negative impact on performance so when youd use sp4 what are some changes that you noticed? Was the changes good or bad ?
(07-22-2017, 08:01 AM)smirk24 Wrote: [ -> ]Ive heard britec talk about that update but i wasnt sure how well the sp4 worked or if it had a negative impact on performance so when youd use sp4 what are some changes that you noticed? Was the changes good or bad ?

I haven't messed with an XP machine in a longggg time...lol So I cannot answer that my friend.
(07-22-2017, 06:44 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote: [ -> ]*** A tool that I used to use had an unofficial Windows XP service pack 4 included that would allow updating and running current software. I will try to find it for you so you can mess with it if you'd like.

Or use POSReady 2009
Avira free version may still work on XP, not sure though.

I don't think there's much in the way of change its just a bunch of POS (that's Point of Service and not Pile of S***) security updates. I think the only time you'll see any difference is if you download the embedded version.
(07-22-2017, 08:34 AM)UABF44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2017, 06:44 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote: [ -> ]*** A tool that I used to use had an unofficial Windows XP service pack 4 included that would allow updating and running current software. I will try to find it for you so you can mess with it if you'd like.

Or use POSReady 2009

I heard that POSReady actually works very well... I'm "thinking" this is the embedded version that GS is referring too. Am I right GS?
(07-22-2017, 10:40 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote: [ -> ]

Or use POSReady 2009

I heard that POSReady actually works very well...

Tried on a very weak laptop (only 512MB of RAM, less than 100GB of disk space and a pentium dual core) a year ago, yep, it works amazing
(07-22-2017, 10:42 AM)UABF44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2017, 10:40 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote: [ -> ]

Or use POSReady 2009

I heard that POSReady actually works very well...

Tried on a very weak laptop (only 512MB of RAM, less than 100GB of disk space and a pentium dual core) a year ago, yep, it works amazing

I Will have to keep that in mind... Might be a good video request for Brian.
Quote:I heard that POSReady actually works very well... I'm "thinking" this is the embedded version that GS is referring too. Am I right GS?
yep, that's the one.

And if you have XP 64bit you need to rewrite a .INF file to get server 2003 updates and quite frankly it's a bit of a hassle when there are easier and better choices available.
*In my opinion.
Pages: 1 2