Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: Import and Export Driver Via PowerShell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Shy Hi Guys, I have just watched Brian's video on backing up drivers, and very useful it was.
however I have a few points I hope you can help me with.first if I use powershell and make a backup like Brian showed,  will I be able to copy this backup to a usb stick?  and if I do a new install of windows 10 how can I install the drivers from my usb drive, into windows, if it needs powershell , what is the command I would need to use? sorry to be a pain guy,s but I sort of relies on your help..
thanks ...  Big Grin
Can you post a link to the video?
I'm not sure if you can import drivers via PShell (I may be wrong as I don't use it so don't quote me on this). Brian would be able to confirm or deny this.

You can however use pnputil which is built into Windows.

https://oitibs.com/add-windows-drivers-with-pnputil/

But wait to see what others say first.
GuiltySpark, I got a reply to my query from Britec (Brian) he said I could copy my Driver backup to a usb stick,
but never said how to get the drivers to go into a new copy of windows 10 any idears .. Smile
It doesn't look like there are PowerShell cmdlets to install drivers but you could make use of the device manager to restore the drivers from their respective locations
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/uninstall-disable-roll-back-update-drivers-windows
Partha. I'm not happy updating my drivers one by one.. like that, as the Driver backup I made following britec's video has all my drivers in one folder, including all the drivers for my motherboard etc, what i need is a way to copy my driver backup folder into a new copy of
win 10 .. Smile
ok you want to restore all of driver Automatically using power shell on a new install

don't think you can do it using power shell, but you can restore all of the drivers automatically

using Double Driver
(07-11-2017, 10:02 AM)dsldg2 Wrote: [ -> ]GuiltySpark, I got a reply to my query from Britec  (Brian) he said I could copy my Driver backup to a usb stick,
but never said how to get the drivers to go into a new copy of windows 10 any idears ..   Smile

Using pnputil with the "*" parameter (minus quotes) may work as long as they are .INF files, although drivers tend to prefer being installed in a certain order (not always but sometimes depending on MOBO).

It may then ask for a source of drivers, just select your USB. In the link I provided it should be fairly straightforward if you read the article and follow the instructions about pnputil.
plenty to think about there guys, thanks for your help.. Smile
Pages: 1 2