Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: adding usb keyboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone,
I have a problem installibg a usb keyboard. The OS is Ubuntu 16.04 lts running on a Dell Inspiron 1545.  I bought a usb keyboard because some keys on the Dell don't work (6 onwards and F6 onwards). My problemis on connectig the usb keyboard nothing happens no messages or anything. With Windows 7 it used to say usb not recognised looking for driver. I would like to reinstall Windows but need F12 to do so.
Apreciate any help
(06-26-2017, 09:37 AM)clockwatcher Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Everyone,
I have a problem installibg a usb keyboard. The OS is Ubuntu 16.04 lts running on a Dell Inspiron 1545.  I bought a usb keyboard because some keys on the Dell don't work (6 onwards and F6 onwards). My problemis on connectig the usb keyboard nothing happens no messages or anything. With Windows 7 it used to say usb not recognised looking for driver. I would like to reinstall Windows but need F12 to do so.
Apreciate any help

The simple answer is you don't get that in Linux as it's designed to work OOB (out-of-box). No need for the system to go searching for drivers.
ok your question is not about adding keyboard but about installing windows 7 back on to computer?
Hi Compton
Its both. I have Windows 7 disc came with computer but I also need to access F12 which I can't with the computers keyboard. I use the on screen keyboard when computer has booted. Is Ubuntu the problem with setting up the usb board
no in that case its your keyboard you should be able select F12 before it boot into windows or Ubuntu

do you have the keyboard plugin to Usb 3 or Usb2?
Its plugged into USB2.
do you try any other usb port
Yes I have 3 usb ports and other plugins work OK in them. I think I should try it in another computer. Tge other problem with loading Windows 7 is it wants to load into NTFS system and I am in Ubuntu. Does this mean Ihave to re-format and lose Ubuntu.
if you ca't boot into computer bios with the keyboard then

I would try a different keyboard windows or ubuntu have nothing to do with you selecting F!2 or booting bios
(06-28-2017, 06:44 AM)clockwatcher Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I have 3 usb ports and other plugins work OK  in them.  I think I should try it in another computer. Tge other problem with loading Windows 7 is it wants to load into NTFS system and I am in Ubuntu. Does this mean Ihave to re-format and lose Ubuntu.

Sounds like you're trying to load windows from inside Linux, doesn't work that way. You would probably be better off creating a partition first or backing up and doing a fresh install of both OSs then following this guide;

https://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual-boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony

Alternatively, I think Brian did a video on this but you'll have to dig that out yourself from the Home page or YTube.
Pages: 1 2