Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: how to covert a operating system over to a virtual machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello to all.
I am looking for suggestions as to where I can learn about virtual machine & if I can apply it to my situation. I am checking Google for advice but would still appreciate any "heads up" anyone has to offer.
I have an old Dell laptop that is triple boot (XP, Vista & Win7) but the laptop is slowly dying.
I have a SFF HP available that has Win7 on it with a spare bay for a laptop HDD.
My goal is to see if I am able to somehow have the laptop HDD "live" on the SFF HP in a virtual machine setting so that I can still access all the software & features I have on those OS's.
I know enough about computers to get into trouble & make a mess of things but I figure as long as I don't hit it with anything, throw it against the wall or make it catch on fire, I'm okay & can try again.
Can anyone suggest a starting point for me to learn & get up and running on this? What problems are in my way that I have yet to find out about?
We had virtual machine on my wife's computer(it was a Win7 unit)so we could use some ancient MS programs so I thought there might be a way to apply it to my situation. I would really hate to lose it all to a dying laptop which is why I'm asking.
Thanking in advance, all who respond.
what you are asking is if you can take your laptop operating system and Transfer it over to a virtual machine ?
(03-24-2017, 12:17 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]what you are asking is if you can  take your laptop operating system and Transfer it over  to a virtual machine  ?
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Yes, but since it is a triple boot, is that something that I can do?
I don't mind learning how but if it is not possible then I would like to find other options, if there are any.
britec did a video on this topic

Compton knows my videos better than me  Big Grin
(03-24-2017, 06:47 PM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]Compton knows my videos better than me  Big Grin

You GO! Compton...
ya been watching them videos a long time now

so when somebody post a question I am like oh ya Brian  did a video on that Big Grin

title change from RE: I want to learn about Virtual Machine & if it will work for me

to

how to covert a operating system over to a virtual machine
(03-24-2017, 05:22 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]britec did a video on this topic

Thank you, Compton Sue, this should be interesting.

(03-24-2017, 06:47 PM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]Compton knows my videos better than me  Big Grin
You have a great team working for you, Brian
Definitely, Britec gets the best of the best Big Grin
I am very lucky to have people help me or these forums would close without help.