Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: computer freeze up on login sreen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
As you might have guessed I have a problem with my computer. Since last week when I try and start the computer up it blocks at the password and the hard drive is lit up like if it's guy fawkes. Now I have started my computer twice and unplugged it from the mains and on the third time I get to go to advanced options. Now I watched the YouTube video from britec telling me how to reboot the system or do an automatic repair from this point but when I click on any of them and I have tried all options and it asks me for the the server I want and I then have to put in my password the password does not materialise and the computer just freezes. Then after a couple of minutes the computer tells me it had a problem and will restart my computer. Has anyone had this problem.  If so is there a way to fix it?
Thanks in advance.
Hi doogle74,

What operating system are you running? How old is your system?

It sounds like your hard drive is going bad Sad

You said you were able to get to advance options. Please could you try to get advance options again but instead of automatic repair, select Command Prompt (cmd), then type the following commands:
wmic then press enter.
Then type diskdrive get status and hit enter.

Please report back the results, if your hard drive's health is good, the status will be OK, if it is failing, it will say failing
(11-27-2016, 08:30 PM)doogle74 Wrote: [ -> ]... but when I click on any of them and I have tried all options and it asks me for the the server I want and I then have to put in my password the password does not materialise and the computer just freezes

What's your operating system? Also, try to remember what you did last on your computer before the problem started, and let us know

I am also curious to know what this server is that you were talking about
Hi Partha.

First of all i am on windows 10 and my computer is a packard bell.

Now my mistake when I said server I meant to say when it asks you to pick your account to continue. When I click on my account that's when the computer freezes. It all when pair shaped when I last closed down and a window came up with a warning that a program could not close down. In hind sight I should have taken a photo of this but I didn't can't remember too much of what it said.

RECdevisehelper.

As above my operating system is windows 10 can't really remember the age of it but say around 5 to 6 years old.

I went into command prompt, then typed the commands you gave me to see if the hard drive is good or bad and it came back as status ok. I am still in the commander prompt window. Do you have any other ideas?
(11-28-2016, 08:49 PM)doogle74 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Partha.

First of all i am on windows 10 and my computer is a packard bell.

Now my mistake when I said server I meant to say when it asks you to pick your account to continue. When I click on my account that's when the computer freezes. It all when pair shaped when I last closed down and a window came up with a warning that a program could not close down. In hind sight I should have taken a photo of this but I didn't can't remember too much of what it said.

RECdevisehelper.

As above my operating system is windows 10 can't really remember the age of it but say around 5 to 6 years old.

I went into command prompt, then typed the commands you gave me to see if the hard drive is good or bad and it came back as status ok. I am still in the commander prompt window. Do you have any other ideas?
OK, exit out of command prompt and inside advanced options, click startup settings, then click restart, after the restart you will be presented with a blue screen, which will give a list of startup options. Please press F5 on your keyboard to enter safe mode with networking. Your system will restart and load windows into safe mode. Please try to login again and see if the issue still happens. If you have trouble accessing startup settings, I have found a nice guide which will help you access it.
Ok I have gone into safe mode after pressing f5 but once again after putting in my password it doesn't seem like it wants to let me in. My hard drive is still working over time. Before all of this it just flashed every so often to let me know it was working but now it's lit up all the time. So it's still on the password page and just saying welcome and the little dial is going around and around.
have move this Thread yo windows 10

change the subject from hi everyone

to
computer freeze up on login sreen

you have more the one user account on the computer?
are the admin of the computer?
(11-28-2016, 09:23 PM)doogle74 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok I have gone into safe mode after pressing f5 but once again after putting in my password it doesn't seem like it wants to let me in. My hard drive is still working over time. Before all of this it just flashed every so often  to let me know it was working but now it's lit up all the time. So it's still on the password  page and just saying welcome and the little dial is going around and around.
OK, lets check the system for any viruses or malware, so please could create bootable CD/DVD or USB using Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
To create a bootable CD/DVD, please follow this guide: https://support.kaspersky.co.uk/8093
Once you have booted from your bootable cd/dvd or usb, please follow this virus removal guide:

It may be old, but should be helpful to rmeove anything found.
I would suggest you run scans and use the recommend option to remove anything found.
Compton

Only one user account on the computer and yes I am the admin

RECdevicehelper.

I'll continue this tomorrow. Had to shut computer down again as it was stuck on login page.

Thanks
(11-28-2016, 09:33 PM)doogle74 Wrote: [ -> ]Compton

Only one user account on the computer and yes I am the admin

RECdevicehelper.

I'll continue this tomorrow. Had to shut computer down again as it was stuck on login page.

Thanks
OK keep us updated!
Pages: 1 2 3 4