Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: Disable Automatic Restart After Windows Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm getting used to Windows 10, its actually quite nice, I will  look into customising it.

One thing that caught me off guard however is automatic restart and update. I even had a txt file open where I was making some notes, and I left the computer, and it restarted without even asking me to save! I guess that means Ive lost my notes. Oh well. Can automatic restarts be disabled?

If any of you have links on how to make windows 10 more convenient and user friendly that would be much appreciated.

best wishes,
Juno

(11-07-2016, 04:59 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks for the video. I wonder if it is still up to date?, I go to updates settings - advanced options and I do not have the option to tell it to notify me of updates before restarting (so I can delay until convenient) like in that video.

I dont have windows 10 pro either (just home)
(11-07-2016, 11:25 PM)Juno Wrote: [ -> ]I do not have the option to tell it to notify me of updates before restarting (so I can delay until convenient) like in that video.

That is correct. This option was removed with the anniversary update, but as an alternative, you can configure a new feature called "active hours" to your liking.

Refer https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-active-hours-avoid-windows-10-sudden-restarts-during-updates
(11-08-2016, 06:45 AM)Partha Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2016, 11:25 PM)Juno Wrote: [ -> ]I do not have the option to tell it to notify me of updates before restarting (so I can delay until convenient) like in that video.

That is correct. This option was removed with the anniversary update, but as an alternative, you can configure a new feature called "active hours" to your liking.

Refer https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-active-hours-avoid-windows-10-sudden-restarts-during-updates

So there is no way now to check a box and make windows ask permission before restarting? If so thats a shame.
1. Press Windows Key + R

2. Type Regedit

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

4. If WindowsUpdate and AU does not exist, you will need to create it. To do that right-click the Windows key and click New and type WindowsUpdate and press enter, then right-click WindowsUpdate and click new and type AU and press enter.

5. Open AU directory and on the right hand pane, right-click and select new DWORD (32-bit) value. Type NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and press Enter.

6. Double click NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and enter a value of 1

7. Reboot your computer

That's it.
Thank you very much!
You're welcome 

Solved - Thread Closed.