Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: W10 Anniversary 20GB won't use USB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(09-29-2016, 06:34 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]will never the less you still need 20GB free or more on the Surface 3
also can you paste a Link to Brian's demo.video?

As I have stated, from a YOUTUBE video it appeared that an EXTERNAL HDD was able to be used. That is all I am asking. I cannot believe that my Surface or any device with minimal space cannot use an EXTERNAL device as I saw demonstrated in the video.
If you are trying to install the anniversary update to a storage device that doesnt have windows already installed on it then it doesn't work like that. you can download the iso image to your desktop for installing to a dvd or this tool will erase the usb then install windows so that you can install windows to a desktop or laptop computer

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
post a link to video you are talking about
The answer is simple, create free space so you can install. or Upgrade that hard drive to a bigger hard drive.

I do think upgrade is the best way to go. 64GB SSD with 13GB your be running that drive at full capacity which is never a good thing.
(09-29-2016, 06:34 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]will never the less you still need 20GB free or more on the Surface 3
also can you paste a Link to Brian's demo.video?

How to Get Windows 10 Anniversary Update:

I will follow the video instruction ref Freeing Up Space BUT I would appreciate it if Brian could advise whether or not an EXT HDD can be used to accomodate the UPGRADE ASSISTANT with installing the UPDATE.

Thank you
Your hard drive must be in the red because its so full. 
(10-01-2016, 06:46 PM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]Your hard drive must be in the red because its so full. 
I thank everyone for trying to assist. Whether it was down to my initial wording or folk reading too fast, we have gone around in circles somewhat.
Yes, all I wanted to do was update using the Anniversary assistant. No, my drive C:/ was not in the read.
I did forget one thing - the Surface has a 128GB SD card reader and I had a 64GB card installed.
No, I did not expect to perform the update on another drive BUT as I have said, another video showed a dropdown that allowed the author to select it - I assumed that MS would use that for tempory files.
I have moved ONE DRIVE and more to my D:/ SD card and am running the update as I type.
Pages: 1 2