Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: Windows 10 Professional transfer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys.

I have been given a used computer which has windows 10 home installed. This machine was a windows 7 installation which received the free windows 10 upgrade. (I'll refer as Computer A)

My old machine was also also a windows 7 installation, but pro. So I got upgraded to Windows 10 pro. (I'll refer as Computer B) both computers have different specs and are different makes.

Computer A is a newer more powerful PC than computer B.

On computer B I have my windows professional on an SSD Drive which I've also got backed up with Acronis true image 2016.

Here's what I'm planning:

I want to run Acronis true image's 'acronis dissimilar hardware' restore to the new machine. Although I know there are still potential compatibility risks etc my objective is to restore my windows pro backup onto computer B then do a fresh install of windows 10 pro afterwards.

Would this work? Or will Microsoft realise that computer B should be home version and not activate? I have the relevant genuine keys prior to free upgrade.
In theory Micro$oft will see a different hardware hash for that license and you will not be able to activate. This being said it will not hurt anything to give it a try. Just be sure there is no way to lose important data of course.
(09-21-2016, 03:54 PM)Timster Wrote: [ -> ]In theory Micro$oft will see a different hardware hash for that license and you will not be able to activate. This being said it will not hurt anything to give it a try. Just be sure there is no way to lose important data of course.

Thanks Timster.

Gonna give it a go tonight and I'll report back with my findings so that someone else may benefit in the future.