Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: WinToUSB Trojan!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

So I recently went into my local shop and saw a computer magazine about Windows 10 and how to run the technical preview on your PC and it seemed easy to do so I went home and downloaded the iso. I didn't want to partition my drive so I tried an external drive and it was so slow that copying a folder with 2.5GB of pictures would have taken 2 and a half hours to do! So I did some research and then I saw that their was a program called "WinToUsb" that had been recommended by lifehacker (I think) and looked very promising. So I downloaded the 1.5 Version and it spat me out an error so I downloaded the 1.6 Beta Version which worked fine. But then when it was writing to the USB kaspersky flashed up and said "Trojan detected, virus removed". I am very confused as to why it gave me that and I am wondering if I should download it again and disable/make an exception in kaspersky?

Should I do it or is it too risky? I rarely get false positives from kaspersky.

Thanks for all the help,
Dan.
What was the actual file path of the Trojan?
Kaspersky actually deleted the entire wintousb exe suprisingly.
The path was: C:\program files (x86)\wintousb\bin\wintousb.exe
Strange. Could be a FP.

I would upload it to VirusTotal next time as it may have just been Kaspersky that (wrongfully) caught it, assuming you downloaded from the main source and not a turd party...sorry third party Big Grin
Just finished uploading it to Virus Total and all the EXE'S Check out as virus free, no idea why kaspersky gave me a FP. I'm just about to load windows on the usb stick again so I'll get back to you when it's done.

Edit: Just hit 1% Of Completion, takes ages to install.
Britec has a video with instructions on how to use WinToFlash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SwZDboRv6U It's a very useful tool, no trojans at all!
(10-18-2014, 06:17 PM)Akron Computer Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Britec has a video with instructions on how to use WinToFlash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SwZDboRv6U  It's a very useful tool, no trojans at all!

That's just an installer so if you boot that up it's just going to bring you up a windows installer window asking you to select a hard-drive.
What wintousb does is install windows to a usb stick not install the installer to a usb stick.
Thanks for telling me about that though as I'll probably use it later.

So this is what I get:

[Image: mCaaY.jpg]

Their ain't nothing bootable about that!
Might give up or run a VM if it comes down to that but my PC only has 4GB RAM but it's 1600MHz so it's ok.
If this is the WinToUSB you are talking about? its clean

virus-total result
(10-18-2014, 07:56 PM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]If this is the WinToUSB you are talking about? its clean

virus-total result

That's the one. Check out what I just got from kaspersky after installing it:

[Image: LlCiR.jpg]

I really am confused. I think it's because the folder contains a .dll called watcher.dll.

What should I do?
Just finished removing that virus after it completely screwed my PC by mucking up all paths to every programs, disabling sound drivers, making everything run at a super slow pace and make the computer unable to turn off! Do not download!

Thanks for all your advice and help,
Dan.
Pages: 1 2