Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: Windows 10 Install Error:0xc1900101-0x2004
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good Morning:

I have been asked by my friend to upgrade his Laptop machine from Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit to Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

I therefore used the Media Creation tool to do the download and install of the upgrade. I simply copied the media creator to an external drive, brought it to work, plugged it into my friend's machine, and copied the file across to his Windows 7 Laptop. Then I told it to do an "upgrade" to his machine, without making install media.

All appeared normal UNTIL I returned from eating lunch, and when I got back, the machine was off, and I had to power back up. all looked OK and it was loading, and then I saw this:

Quote:We could not install Windows 10: 0xc1900101-0x2004
The Installation Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase with an error during INSTALL_RECOVERY_ENVIRONMENT Operation

Being that this is the first time I have seen such an error, and because I am not sure how to proceed to eliminate this error, I am wondering if someone can tell me what the heck this error means, as the website they sent me to (They Being Microsoft) has multiple error codes, are very cryptic and terse, and each of them is a tad different. Can someone tell me what I should do?

Is there an error trying to install using the media creator? Shall I just make another Windows 10 Home dvd from an iso? I will need help on this one, as my friend would like me to update his Windows 7 Home Premium Machine before I go on vacation in less then 2 weeks.

is there a way for these error codes to be more specific and less terse - I think all I need to do is to install Windows 10 using the DVD and it will be OK, but as I said, I have NO idea what the error codes means, and there was no indication of an error in the Windows Updates when the Installation was reversed.

I think it may be specific to the media creation tool, as I have installed windows 10 from a DVD on our work laptop, and I used the media creation tool to create the DVD I used to do the install. That install was 100% successful.

Help!

Brian
Well, based on the error message, it looks like the installation failed at some stage while installing the recovery environment for Windows

I am not sure what the cause could be at this point but there are a few things you can try before restarting the upgrade.

Make sure that the BIOS is reset to its default settings and the hard drive doesn't have any errors

Run a chkdsk /r on the primary drive and let the process complete

Make sure that all the peripherals are connected properly if there are any, and that during the upgrade, the laptop has access to the Internet
it sounds like the machine power off during the installation of windows 10

what would then happen installation become corrupted causing that error

you should check to see if the computer is getting power also check your wall outlet

did you plugin the computer into surge protection  

this time I would eat my  lunch in front of the computer LOL Big Grin just kidding Smile

you should be in front of the computer during installation of windows 10 just to see what will happen  
(05-23-2016, 01:48 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]this time I would eat my  lunch in front of the computer LOL Big Grin  just kidding Smile  

This was hilarious but like Compton said, it's better if you are in front of the computer this time during the upgrade so that you know how and where the process fails if it does
ya its good to keep things on a light note Smile but I did say you should be in front of the computer during installation of windows 10 just to see what will happen its all good Cool
(05-23-2016, 02:12 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]ya its good to keep things on a light note  Smile but I did  say you should be in front of the computer during installation of windows 10 just to see what will happen  its all good Cool

absolutely
(05-23-2016, 02:04 PM)Partha Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2016, 01:48 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]this time I would eat my  lunch in front of the computer LOL Big Grin  just kidding Smile  

This was hilarious but like Compton said, it's better if you are in front of the computer this time during the upgrade so that you know how and where the process fails if it does

heheehee - well, being that I did it on a Saturday, I didn't think that it would power all the way down and stop. usually, and most times, I am watching the machine during the install Big Grin

Brian

(05-23-2016, 01:48 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]it sounds like the machine power off during the installation of windows 10

what would then happen installation become corrupted causing that error

you should check to see if the computer is getting power also check your wall outlet

did you plugin the computer into surge protection  

this time I would eat my  lunch in front of the computer LOL Big Grin  just kidding Smile  

you should be in front of the computer during installation of windows 10 just to see what will happen  

Compton:

One: can you tell me what that error code means?

Two: The computer was sitting on my desk, and was getting wall power at all times during the upgrade process.

Three: The Machine did power off, but when it restarted and reverted back to Windows 7. it said to check the Windows Update page to see what update failed, and as far as I know, there were no updates that failed, other then the one that now comes up when my buddy hots "windows update" shortcut on his desktop.

Four: Do you recommend that I back out the update using system restore, then use a windows 10 Home 64-Bit Disc, and run the install from that media, RATHER than to run it using the Media Creator, and doing an "in place upgrade?"

Five: I have every version of windows (less windows 98 and 2000 available as isos - should I create a bootable USB Install drive like Britec does in his videos, or is there something else I would need to create these??

Thanks for all the help Bud Smile

Brian Baker
did you get the free upgrade notification ?

what could have happen windows 10 probably try to install updates during installation

which fail use a windows 10 Home 64-Bit Disc, and run the install from that media

Disable internet to the laptop during installation of windows 10 I am guessing you are upgrading form windows 7 home?
(05-25-2016, 12:41 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]did you get the free upgrade  notification ?

what could have happen windows 10 probably try to install updates during installation

which fail use a windows 10 Home 64-Bit Disc, and run the install from that media

Disable internet to the laptop during installation of windows 10 I am guessing you are upgrading form windows 7 home?

I am upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium, and have been having trouble getting the iso function working right in Windows 10 - Is there are way to make windows 10 burn isos without stuff like Nero Express or ImageBurn - I think windows 10 can do it, but something is wrong with it....

Brian
the ISO could be corrupted try re downloading it you should use a flash drive

create it using Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/
Pages: 1 2