Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: External hard drive not recognised
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Problem:
I have two external hard drives that I have been using for backups etc. on my desktop running Windows 10 Home. I connected the external drives to my HP Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 to copy some files and it has changed the ownership to the external drives laptop user!
Now when I connect the external drives back on my desktop running Windows 10 Home the drives are not recognised and don’t even show in Disk Management have tried to connect the drives in different USB sockets to no avail!! When I plug them in the pc makes the connection sound but the drives do not appear anywhere!
Question:
How can I get the external drives to be recognised and change ownership back on my desktop running Windows 10 Home??
Uninstall external hard driver using Device manager
then reboot your system
Hi Compton, could you please elaborate your response, for example from which pc do I need to uninstall the external drive from the laptop (which recognises it or from the desktop which is where I want to use it)?
ok sorry for my short answer its busy today
uninstall external hard driver from the desktop

How to Uninstall Drivers in Windows https://www.pcworld.com/article/246041/how_to_uninstall_drivers_in_windows.html
(04-01-2016, 05:36 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]Uninstall external hard driver using Device manager
then reboot your system

(04-01-2016, 07:44 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]ok sorry for my short answer its busy today
uninstall  external hard driver from the desktop

How to Uninstall Drivers in Windows https://www.pcworld.com/article/246041/how_to_uninstall_drivers_in_windows.html

Unable to uninstall the external drive from Device Manager or Disk Manager as the external drive does not appear listed at all on the desktop!
it should be in the Device manager
(04-01-2016, 05:36 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]Uninstall external hard driver using Device manager
then reboot your system

(04-01-2016, 08:16 PM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]it should be in the Device manager

OK got there in the end  Smile It was listed under Device Manager >  USB Controllers with an exclamation mark with the error saying that "the driver for this device is in memory". I uninstalled it from the USB Controllers and it worked. Previously I was looking in Device Manager > under Disk Drives and in Windows Explorer under This PC (Computer) where it was not listed!
Thanks for your help and like I said I got there in the end.  Smile
glad you got it working Smile
Solved - Thread Closed