Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: How to fix 'no wifi from router when PC is off'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

I had some trouble with my Netgear WNR3500v2 Router a few days ago, and despite attempting various fixes and resetting the router, my problem still remained. So I decided to make this turorial to help other members if they are having a similar problem.

A brief history

I have a Netgear WNR3500v2 Router which is hard-wired to my Windows 10 PC (32-bit Pro) I have had the router for quite a few years, and have successfully been using it as an extender for the upstairs of my home ever since Windows XP! I noticed that after upgrading to Windows 10 (not right away, but months later) I discovered that I was losing my wifi connectivity when the PC was off. After much 'Googling', and asking here on the forum, and after many failed attempts at fixing it, resetting it, and configuring it, the problem remained. I even tried kicking my cat but that didn't help  Big Grin (joke!)

here is how I fixed my problem, remember, this may not work for your unique wifi problem, but if your 'symptoms' are the same as mine this could help you out!

Let's begin:

1. Click on start.

[attachment=471]

2. Click on Settings.

[attachment=472]

3. Once you come to the main settings window, you need to click 'Network and Internet'

[attachment=473]

4. Next, click on 'Ethernet'

[attachment=474]

5. Now click on 'Change Adaptor Settings'

[attachment=475]

6. Once you get to this window, you will see your network adaptor.

[attachment=476]

7. You now need to single-click the adaptor, so as to bring more options at the top of the window. (you could also right-click and get the same options in a context menu) Now click on 'Change settings for this connection'

[attachment=477]

8. When the 'Ethernet properties' window opens, you need to click on 'configure'

[attachment=478]

9. At the top on the next window, you need to select the 'Power Management' tab.

[attachment=479]

10. Finally, (this is what was causing the problem for me)  un-tick 'Allow windows to turn off this device to save power' then click OK

[attachment=480]

That's it folks. after days of messing around, all it took to bring my wifi back to normal was a simple tick. Maybe a windows update could have changed the value of this, or maybe another app on my computer did it. All I know is that now everything is back to normal. (and the cat gave a big sigh of relief)

I hope this one helps you out guys (hmmm, I think I've been watching too many Britec videos...) Tongue

chow for now.
Hey thanks for sharing this for other members
Good Tutorial!
super Tutorial!