Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: IP address conflict
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there are general steps one could go through to eliminate or understand the warning that sometimes pops up saying there is an IP address conflict.

I have been meaning to bring this subject up for awhile, if anyone can explain this and steps to resolve this issue I would be appreciative

I have had people think it is someone trying to use their network

thank you

tmy
If your router is set to dhcp then that means that your router is set to handle and assign all devices a different ip that connects to it. Computers that connect to that same network that have the network settings set to dhcp rely on that router to assign it a ip address. Using dhcp is designed to avoid ip assigning 2 or more devices the same ip address (IP Address Conflict). If a computer connects to to that same network that has a static ip setting then that takes away the responsibility of the router to assign that ip of that computer  and that computer could very well have the same ip as a device that the router assigned another device on the network. This would result in a ip conflict error. Hope that makes sense.
(09-10-2015, 09:24 PM)Timster Wrote: [ -> ]If your router is set to dhcp then that means that your router is set to handle and assign all devices a different ip that connects to it. Computers that connect to that same network that have the network settings set to dhcp rely on that router to assign it a ip address. Using dhcp is designed to avoid ip assigning 2 or more devices the same ip address (IP Address Conflict). If a computer connects to to that same network that has a static ip setting then that takes away the responsibility of the router to assign that ip of that computer  and that computer could very well have the same ip as a device that the router assigned another device on the network. This would result in a ip conflict error. Hope that makes sense.

Hi Timster,
thank you for your great explanation, that was a great way to explain what is going on
I hope others have found this helpful as well

tmy