Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: Restore Image Using a Dell Factory.wim file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi, I have a dell with a worn off windows 7 code and a faulty harddrive, however I can access the recovery partition and have been able to copy factory.wim and factory2.wim to a usb drive, is it possible to copy them to a new harddrive using gimagex on hirens boot cd? I have seen Brians video on how to copy 1 factory wim but not sure how to do it with multiple .wim files. do you need to somehow merge them?
Angel hint hint video pleeeeeaaaase  Big Grin
The problem you have is that your hard drive is bad or died. But on the good news is you have
  • factory.wim
  • factory2.wim 
If your drive was still OK it would be easy to restore image using factory.wim and factory2.wim.
There is a number of ways to do it, here's one, buy a new drive and install factory.wim and factory2.wim using imagex to install them two .wim files.

You can use Hirens or Windows 7 Repair Disc
but how do I restore the wim files when there are more than one? I tryed in gimagex and can install factory1.wim, but if I install factory2.wim wont it overwright what I have just done? do I need to somehow merge all the .wim files into 1 then install that?
Here you go, its not quite the same way I was thinking, but it should work all the same.
How To Restore A Backed Up Factory Or User Wim To A New Blank Hard Drive