Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix: Stop 0×0000007A KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR Win32k.SYS
HI,

I was basically following some of the advice in the above video and decided to rename the win32k.sys file. Problem was that Windows wouldn't boot after that. I do remember that if you did this in XP the file would be replaced via the dll  cache so I didn't think anything of it and just did it.

Why does Windows 7 not do the same thing?

My second problem was getting back in and I have a few questions about this. I had a number of utils amongst them were Ultimate boot / Hirens dos boot etc.
I thought all I need is a dos prompt to get to the file and rename it back. However, not one of the utils I tried (that gave me a prompt) was able to allow me to access any of the drives. I thought this might be that the dos versions didn't recognise NTFS so I tried NTFSforDOS which listed my drives and their respective letters but still I could not switch to the drive. eg. typing "D:" would give me "drive does not exist" even though I had a list showing the drives and partitions.
I remain somewhat confused about this but the Ultimate boot CD is quite old and so was the Hirens. Can anyone explain my predicament and if I using a current version of Ultimate boot will solve the problem?

Luckily I had a Norton Ghost recovery disk to hand and a reasonably recent one-time-backup so I finally replaced the win32k.sys that way but it may still be corrupt so I am back to step one.

Hi Louiscar,

Are you able to open a cmd prompt (with admin privileges) and run a "CHKDSK C:" command (minus quotes)?

(02-17-2015, 10:12 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Hi Louiscar,

Are you able to open a cmd prompt (with admin privileges) and run a "CHKDSK C:" command (minus quotes)?

Yes I can do that

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
530688 file records processed.
File verification completed.
188 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
2 EA records processed.
41 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
575222 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage
530688 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
22268 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
33993608 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found n

500003840 KB total disk space.
43582992 KB in 96602 files.
60896 KB in 22269 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
645784 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
455714168 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
125000960 total allocation units on disk.
113928542 allocation units available on disk.

0 KB in bad sectors.

Looks good there.

Are you still getting the error codes/blue screen?

(02-17-2015, 10:41 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  0 KB in bad sectors.

Looks good there.

Are you still getting the error codes/blue screen?

Problem is that it's extremely intermittent (worst kind). eg. The other day it did it twice in a row, in an app. I actually turned the computer off and back on and within 10mins it did it again. Since then nothing.

I have a suspicion though that it is a sata 3 / usb 3 Asus card I have with one drive plugged in. Also intermittently I'll get a red HDD light (solid) which will cause a lot of non-responses in apps often needing a reboot. I am thinking this is also what might be causing the BSODs but I was going through the list anyway as I've recently had some very strange things happening that began after my O/s SSD failed.

I've now finally removed the drive from the card and plugged it into the motherboard. One clue was when I used the Norton recovery disk, the dialogue box failed to come up, leaving me with a blank screen and mouse cursor. Unplugging the disk from the card rectified that so something strange is going on there.

I do still want to know why Windows 7 didn't replace that file though if you have any idea about that for future reference.

Thanks for the assistance btw.

There may have been an issue with the file previous when the ghost image was done and so replaced it with the same issue, I really don't know from here.
I would always use a Install disc to xcopy the files over or a repair disc if the file in question is found in the directory of the repair disc (which it should be) that way you know without a doubt it's not been corrupted beforehand.

I would also install Blue Screen Viewer from Nirsoft as the parameters would tell us exactly where the issue is stemming from.

(02-17-2015, 11:56 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  There may have been an issue with the file previous when the ghost image was done and so replaced it with the same issue, I really don't know from here.
I would always use a Install disc to xcopy the files over or a repair disc if the file in question is found in the directory of the repair disc (which it should be) that way you know without a doubt it's not been corrupted beforehand.

So Window 7's behaviour should be the same as XP's? ie. renaming any system file should replace it from the DLL Cache.
If that's the case then something is broken for sure.

(02-17-2015, 11:56 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  I would also install Blue Screen Viewer from Nirsoft as the parameters would tell us exactly where the issue is stemming from.

Thanks for that I did hear about this earlier but I discovered that the BSOD didn't create any minidumps which I think this needs. It's possible that was my fault not waiting for the BSOD to complete the dump process. I do have Memory.dmp in the windows folder but I don't think Blue screen viewer would look at it. I'll get it installed anyway for the future.

Edit: I've just found out that Windows 7 doesn't use WFP (Windows File Protection) and instead uses WRP (Windows Resource Protection) which explains why it didn't replace the file when I renamed it. Instead it appears that the latter method uses permissions assigned to TrustedInstaller to protect files from deletion or renaming. I had to take ownership of that file before I could rename it. Have to be careful about that. WFP was a convenient feature for doing what I wanted to do. Guess SFC would be the next best thing.

Glad you got it sorted (I assume there's no more Blue Screen).

You can actually rename virtually any file using a Live Linux Disc, just navigate to the drive where the OS is situated and changes can be made quite easily.