Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue with trying to boot to safe mode
Hi

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this problem, but I'm concerned it might be a lost cause:

My pc is a custom build that a friend had made for me years ago. Until recently it had been working fine (minor issues but nothing too difficult to sort out). Then one day after updating when it was starting up, it came up stating that my "User Profile Service service failed the logon" and that the user profile cannot be loaded, which is a problem as I am the only administration account on it. At first I wasnt too concerned, I had looked online and found out how to attempt to fix it by booting up safe mode. And this is where my problems have now occurred. I've tried many times to do this by pressing f8 with no luck, and then found out that my pc was installed with a not genuine version of windows 7 by my friend.

What I'm wanting to know is if the reason that I cannot access safe mode is because there is not a genuine version of windows in the system, and if I did buy a genuine version of windows 8, which I was considering upgrading to anyway, will this fix my user profile issue and safe mode problem, or will it cause more problems. I'm not bothered if I lose my stuff that was on my pc as it was nothing important on it.

With a pirated copy of Windows 7 installed you can never be sure about what is causing corruption like you are talking about. If you purchase a legit Windows 8 and do a fresh install then you know that if any corruption occurs that it certainly is not because you have a dodgy operating system installed. As long as your hardware is in good health you should have no user corruption issues with Windows 8.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

Hi this is going to be a bite long but this may help but a Clean install of win8 may be a good idea.

How To Force Windows To Restart in Safe Mode

Open Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8, if you're using that operating system. Since you can't start Windows properly, use method 4, 5, or 6 outlined in that tutorial.

With Windows 7 or Windows Vista, start System Recovery Options using your installation media or a system repair disc. Unfortunately, this process doesn't work with Windows XP.

Note: If you want to force or stop Safe Mode from starting, and you actually can access Windows properly, you don't need to follow the procedure below. See the much easier How To Start Windows in Safe Mode Using System Configuration process.

Open Command Prompt.

Advanced Startup Options (Windows 8): Tap or click on Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, and finally Command Prompt.

System Recovery Options (Windows 7/Vista): Click on the Command Prompt shortcut.

With Command Prompt open, execute the correct bcdedit command as shown below based on which Safe Mode option you'd like to start:

Safe Mode:

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

Safe Mode with Networking:

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network

Safe Mode with Command Prompt:

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal
   bcdedit /set {default} safebootalternateshell yes

Tips: Be sure to type whatever command you choose exactly as shown and then execute it using the Enter key. Spaces are very important! The { and } brackets are the ones above the [ and ] keys on your keyboard. Two separate commands are required to start Safe Mode with Command Prompt so be sure to execute them both.

A properly executed bcdedit command should return a "The operation completed successfully" message.

If you see "The parameter is incorrect", or "The set command specified is not valid", or "...is not recognized as an internal or external command...", or a similar message, check Step 3 again and make sure you executed the command properly.

Close the Command Prompt window.

In Windows 8, tap or click on Continue.

In Windows 7 and Vista, click the Restart button.

Wait while your computer or device restarts.

Once Windows starts, log in as you normally do and use Safe Mode however you were planning.

Important: Windows will continue to start in Safe Mode every time you reboot unless you undo what you did in Step 3. The easiest way to do that is not by executing more commands, but via System Configuration. See How To Start Windows in Safe Mode Using System Configuration and follow steps 8 through 11 in that tutorial.

Safe Mode Loop

If Windows is stuck in a sort of "Safe Mode Loop," preventing you from starting in normal mode again, and you've tried the instructions I gave in the Important call-out from Step 8 above but haven't been successful, try this:

Start Command Prompt from outside of Windows, the process outlined in Steps 1 and 2 above.

Once Command Prompt is open, execute this command:

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

Assuming it was successfully executed (see Step 4 above), restart your computer and Windows should start then normally.

Source added by admin

I hope this dose help.   Cool

VamP

Please post the source link when stealing someone else's write up!

(02-13-2015, 12:33 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  VamP

Please post the source link when stealing someone else's write up!

Hi Guilty,

I did'ent post source link because it was from another help forum and I thorght I would be in the wrong for advertising. But I do Apologize  Blush  Sad

This is the link https://pcsupport.about.com/od/repair-recovery/a/force-or-stop-safe-mode-windows.htm

No worries. Warning revoked.

The advertising part is more for site owners/spammers etc as opposed to genuine helpful links Wink