Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Server Problem: Cant complete anything - Powers off after a few hours
Good Morning All:

Well, some of you here know that I run a Linux Server: I have been working on this server for about 3-4 years in my spare time, and I have received a LOT of good help from RIGHT HERE, and I am thankful for that assistance.

So, the problem: On April 12, the POWER SUPPLY in my server (cardinal) POPPED, and I was lucky that NO damage happened to the Drives in there. I have a 1 Terrabyte (/1TB) a 3 Terrabyte (/3TB) an 8 Terrabyte, (/8TB) and a 320 GIG (/320) mounted in the mix, and root (/) is running on a 288 GIG HDD, showing 29% USED.LVM I think Smile

I had the machine serviced a couple weeks later, and the PSU was replaced with a brand new one - The machine fired, and it took me about 2 hours to get it set up right so that it would boot to User Level 3 (runlevel3) which allows for services to run.

So, Everything was working well, and then I go to work the next day, after a restart. I try a login from my work PC's, and I get NOTHING for a connection. So, I come home, and the machine is powered OFF. tried this several times, and each time, machine stays on for 4-5 HOURS, then BOOM, machine shuts down. So, I call my tech that serviced me, and she agreed that the PSU could be bad, so she orders another, and dispatches her Husband down here: He replaces the PSU, but tells me:

"You've Got 7 BULGING capacitors, and 2 LEAKING capacitors on that motherboard, Bud" So I have him change the drives and PSU to a different case, and and have him check the motherboard. She was not showing any damage. Machine was an HP, just a little older, and then when we power up, everything boots, but I had to go to rescue mode and command a "nano /etc/fstab" as root, checked the drives, and the mountpoints. Got that sorted, but:

4-5 HOURS later, we have a power OFF: my internal drive was moved along with the PSU, so that killed a bad PSU problem, but:

NOW: we have a problem:

I have a backup of all directories I need: (/, /root, /home, /home2, /home3, /home4, /var, /var/www, /etc) BUT these are files that are from Dec 31, 2018, and newer backups were attempted, but with the machine powering OFF: A root (/ ) (FULL) backup is IMPOSSIBLE, as the backup would not complete, and sometimes other directories would not work right either if the machine just powers down while attempting the backup.

What I did was:

1. root login to console, command "ping buddy-baker.us" and leave that running
2. brian login to thrush, command a 'su' to become root, check file systems, ALL seem OK
3. run cron that says PING my domain every 3.5 hours, so that the machine is NOT idle

OK, so that did not work. But I have a friend of mine that says "wait until Debian 10 comes out" He says that because he knows that the MySQL databases change format, and there would be no going back if something goes haywire if the conversion was done.

So I am SCRAPPING BOTH HP's: They were consumer level PC's and they are not really capable of running the sites like I want: SO, I approached my accountant, and he agreed that if I am going to be running a BUSINESS website as well, then he would be willing to authorize the purchase.

Today, I ordered THIS: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PVCK26/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Being a business class computer, should be able to run what I need and at less stress on the processors, fans, PSU and the like.

so my question is: If you HAD to stay with Debian Jessie for now, and you DID NOT WANT to go to Debian 9, would you install the base file systems, and LVM the root and /boot and then just do a

Code:
tar -xvpzf "filename.tar.gz -C /

Which would then mostylikely restore Cardinal to his old self again....Or......would you just boot Netinst ISO, and follow the graphical Install, then make a Directory on the root called /recover, then drop every file there, and then restore each tar to the directory that you need?

I have worries about drivers and sources for Jessie, and I may have to grab files off the older machine as I work, but she just wont stay ON, and sometimes wont BOOT right either!

Thoughts??

Brian
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us

Have new machine: having problems installing my files from Debian 8 - Can someone please assist - Did it 25 times already, either I am missing utils, unable to fully restore something, or the fstab looks like "UUID=hdhfdhifkjgkgjkgljlkgjlgljkg87787879659" instead of /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 with mountpoint /

Really confused and should not be that hard Sad

Brian
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us