Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wifi dongle on Windows 7 machine
PREAMBLE

I'm very relieved that I got the machine working finally but have no idea how!

I just built a nice machine using a wifi dongle to install all the updates, which it did no problem.

As soon as it had downloaded all the updates and some drivers, I would get no display, sometimes a warning

' cannot display this video mode '

I installed Windows 7 and all it's updates 3 times till I got fed up and decided to pull the wifi dongle out.

It now works perfectly, has been playing youtube vids for a while, no issues.

THE POINT - THE QUESTION

Does anyone have any ideas why a system won't boot with a wifi dongle, once all the updates were installed ?
It works fine while the updates are being installed!

Possibly because the system needs to configure after installing the updates and was getting a conflict from the dongles drivers.

But I wouldn't know for definite as I've never encountered this issue.

Does it constantly happen when you boot up with the dongle in place?

It seems to, I get the 'welcome' but it won't get to the desktop.

I could try reinstalling the driver and try again but a little fed up just now, happy that it's working
I've been installing and updating since yesterday afternoon!

I have since installed a wifi pcie card ASUS 300 mbps and that doesn't seem to have any issues.
I will try reinstalling the tplink dongle software.

So it won't boot with the dongle, it does get into safe mode but not safe mode with networking
so like you say, there's a conflict with the dongle but not while it was updating! Which I find mighty strange.

I can only assume there was an update that didn't agree with it, a latter one.

Often its just because a computer won't boot with a USB device inserted, did you try inserting it after the boot?

THE POINT - THE QUESTION

Does anyone have any ideas why a system won't boot with a wifi dongle, once all the updates were installed ?

[/quote]

(11-09-2014, 04:16 AM)zINc Wrote:  Often its just because a computer won't boot with a USB device inserted, did you try inserting it after the boot?

THE POINT - THE QUESTION

[/quote]

The mental thing is that it installed all the updates with the wifi dongle plugged in, I never touched it. As soon as all the updates were installed it would come up with an error, sometimes, or the screen would just be a million colours. I'm sorry, not 100% sure what the error message was, it was about display.
I installed a wifi card! I do have a feeling it's got something to do with the drivers, the via usb driver and intel usb driver, as soon as these are installed I get the myriad of colours.

Since installing the wifi card, the pc is stable so I'm more puzzled than anything else, what's different to the windows usb drivers.
The usb ports accept flash drives now no problem.

Just a driver issue and tplink dongle issue, I think. Not sure.