Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Hijack.host
Hello,

To night malwarebytes detected several infected files called hijack.host in my windows32/driver/host file. This is the first time this has come up and to be honest I haven't had any luck removing them. There is very little info on the web about this malware and was wondering if you had any suggestions.

This PC is a windows 7 64x system sporting an amd FX4300 on a Asus 990FX mobo. I must have picked this infection up today while surfing the web or from some screwed up adware link in a youtube video. To be frank I have no clue how I got infected since this is just a gaming pc and is mostly used for watching netflix and youtube.

I have ran Avast as well as the Windows antivirus software but both say the system is clean. But each time I run Malwarebytes (latest update) it kicks out these Hijack.host finds.

Any help is much appreciated.

[Image: adwcleaner_new.png]Scan with AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save the file to your desktop.

• Right-click on [Image: adwcleaner_new.png] icon and select [Image: RunAsAdmin.jpg] Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Follow the prompts and click Scan.
  • Upon completion, click Report. A log (AdwCleaner[R*].txt) will open.

Please include the contents of that file in your reply.

[Image: malwarebytes-icon.png] Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Install the progam and select update.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Detctions & protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan is checked and click Scan Now.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.
Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

[Image: hitmanpro.png]HitmanPro[/color][/font][/size][/color][/b]

• Please download HitmanPro.
  • Launch the program by double clicking on the icon. (Windows Vista/7 users right click on the HitmanPro icon and select run as administrator).
  • Click on the next button. You must agree with the terms of EULA.
  • Check the box beside "No, I only want to perform a one-time scan to check this computer".
  • Click on the next button.
  • The program will start to scan the computer. The scan will typically take no more than 2-3 minutes.
  • When the scan is done click on drop-down menu of the found entries (if any) and choose - Apply to all => Ignore <= IMPORTANT!!!
  • Click on the next button.
  • Click on the "Export scan results to XML file".
  • Save that file to your desktop and post in your next reply.

[Image: junkware_removal_tool.png] Fix with Junkware Removal Tool

Please download JRT by Malwarebytes and save the file to your desktop.
    Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.

• Right-click on [Image: junkware_removal_tool.png] icon and select [Image: RunAsAdmin.jpg] Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    • Follow the prompts and let this process run uninterrupted.
    • This scan can take a while, depending on your System specs.
    • Upon completion, a log (JRT.txt) will open on your desktop.

Please include the contents of that file in your reply.

Do not forget to re-enable your previously switched off protection software!
    Please also manually reboot your machine after this procedure.

Could be a False Positive, I would ask on the MBAM forum as it's only their software kicking this out.