Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix Windows 10 upgrade Icon Missing KB3035583
Question 
Hi folks, this is my first post on this fine forum.

I've just done a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on my media box, it has validated without issue. I'm not sure if KB971033 is installed, but WU reckons my machine is fully patched. I'm not sure what license this is, it came with the machine when I purchased it 2nd hand. I was given the ISO file on the machine, (it was in OOBE on first power up, unsure if it was sysprepped) the sticker doesn't have any manufacturer on it, but it is genuine as far as I know. It's an older Lenovo machine. The Windows installer appears to be stock, without any branding. No OS version choice though, the WIM appears to have just this option on it. There doesn't appear to be any Lenovo software on either the ISO or the WIM once deployed (I know this as I used 'NT6 Fast Installer' to deploy the image to the disk, Google it Smile )

I've checked and rebooted several times and done the usual repair jobs to WU to get it to rebuild the list of updates, I've even gone to the trouble of using PortUp to scan outside of WU. That comes back empty with no sign of KB3035583.

KB971033 should be well known as it has been a bone of contention for a while now. If not, the letters WGA/WAT should send a shiver down your spine if you've ever had to deal with it.
KB3035583 is the Windows 10 updater.

I'm running Home Premium x64 on both my main machine, my laptop and the girlfriends laptop, the laptops are OEM (HP). KB3035583 has appeared on all three without issue.

I've managed to download the x86 KB3035583 MSU and when I run it, it tells me this isn't applicable for this machine. I've tried the DISM route, but that gives me an error 50.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

I apologise for the long post, and I'm aware that may put some off reading it, but I quite often put as much relevant information and comparative knowledge as possible into the OP.

Thank you in advance for any light you can throw my way on this. May your torches be bright! Big Grin

ok you said that you brought the computer. 2 hand with a iso image of a windows 7 ultimate x86

will it could be corrupted or even have malware in it

(07-10-2015, 01:42 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok you said that you brought the computer. 2 hand with a iso image of a windows 7 ultimate x86

will it could be corrupted or even have malware in it

I've gone through it with everything I have when it comes to scanning tools, both as a mounted WIM and installed, and found nothing.

It's a media box, it doesn't do anything other than cast Plex to my Chromecast, serve videos and music as well as hold large files like ISO images, so if there is anything nefarious on there, it's not affecting the rest of the machines.

No erroneous processes and all the binaries check out. I had this thought myself Smile

If it was corrupted, the 300 hour+ uptime I have achieved in the past would be impossible, plus either DISM or the Windows installer would have thrown an error.

The guy I got it from is known and reputable around the area, I've helped him fix his customers machines when he's been busy, and knows I wouldn't tolerate anything like that.

This is really odd, I don't dispute the legitimacy of the license as Windows comes back as legit.

if you are  not upgrading to windows 10  I would hold off on KB971033 update

can you post your system specs

https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=665

(07-10-2015, 02:19 PM)Compton Wrote:  if you are  not upgrading to windows 10  I would hold off on KB971033 update

can you post your system specs

https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=665

As requested, https://speccy.piriform.com/results/Jb7ruvAwXI5u8Hc4gJu475P

I want to run 10 on it as I want the machine to last as long as possible. It's an old, ancient machine, but it has served me well in the year or so that I have owned it. It was cheap and it fits in my media centre quite nicely.

if you want the system to last long as possible I would just keep windows 7 on it

because windows 7 is very stable

plus the computer is very old you could have problem running windows 10 on it

(07-10-2015, 02:51 PM)Compton Wrote:  if you want the system to last  long as possible I would just keep windows 7 on it

because windows 7 is very stable

plus the computer is very old you could have problem running windows 10 on it

Eh, well, that's not the answer I'm looking for. Sorry, but I want to try it. Newer OSes require less from the hardware, not more.
/EDIT
An older preview running on a very similar if not, the same machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfu6W6eaWBQ

So, can we move on from the naysaying and actually try and fix my update woes?

ok try this

(07-10-2015, 03:13 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok try this

That didn't work. According to WU, I'm (again) fully patched.

the update will probably show don't rush it

if the update don,t show up your windows is probably not genuine